Wednesday, February 27, 2013

When Stairs Attack

Yesterday, I took a nasty spill down the stairs while carrying my daughter.  Probably the most frightening thing I have done being 7 1/2 months pregnant.  I am quite bruised today even in places where I didn't even know I hit.  Thankfully, the baby is okay and the contractions stopped while I was being checked out at the hospital.  It is still scary when they tell you that if the contractions get worse then you are going to have a C-section.  It is something I want to avoid at all cost.

My right arm took the brunt of my fall and luckily I did not break it.  I have replayed in my head why my arm took the majority of the fall and not my back.  I am quite certain I did a side break fall which I have done a hundred times over the past decade.  It is a technique I learned while doing martial arts and it has served me well in the past.  A few years ago, I fell on ice while running in the mountains and I was not injured due to the position I managed to land.  Yes, it was a side break fall position.  Although this fall I did was on stairs and the thump thump thump all the way down was not easy on my body, I was able to minimize the damage as much as I could with such a landing.

By the way, if you are pregnant and fall, please go in and be seen by your physician.  I had no idea I was having contractions after my fall and it is a good thing to know that your baby is okay.  Delivering a healthy baby is the ultimate goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment