Thursday, February 21, 2013

Feathery-Dos and so much more...

Did you know that you can date yourself with the style of your hair?  Its true.  Your hairstyle says a lot about when you had it all or at least thought you did.  Now if you are in the military where its mandatory to keep it short then you are rather exempt on this dating phenomenon.  However, it is amazing when you start seeing people who still rock the 80s classic feathery poof.  It kind of shocks you to the point where you actually want to go up to them and remind them we are in the year of 2013 or the snake year if you are following the chinese zodiac.

Now time slips away from me too and I realize that my hair becomes unmanageable and I desperately need a good haircut.  I find myself putting it back in a hair tie more and more.  It doesn't help that my daughter finds great fascination too with grabbing my hair when it gets to be too long. My husband's biggest fear is that I'll cut it all off, but I remember how short my hair was growing up and I didn't like it then so I can't imagine going back to it.

I had curly hair back then too and shuddering to think I actually got perm after perm to make it that way.  It was a lot of work making it look right too.  I don't have the time anymore especially as a mom. I need it to be easy.  Same goes with coloring it too and trust me I can afford to wait before I start plopping down money to cover those grays which I know are coming.  I don't miss coloring my hair either and I went through that phase when I was in college too.  I think every girl does, but my Grandma used to tell me I had such pretty hair and I think I have grown to the point where I agree with her assessment.  Now remember when streaks and highlights were all a rage a few years back?  I hated highlights and my hair would do it naturally.  My hairstylist would tell me that people paid good money to get my type of highlights.  I didn't even think it looked very natural.

So I wonder if guys pay any attention to our trends and if they care.  I know they usually prefer long hair over short.  I saw Miley Cyrus cut her hair and the way she did it was put it into a ponytail and cut it.  I thought that was the dumbest move ever.  Its like a five year old with scissors.  I promise you I will never go to those extremes.  Miley though just can't rock the short hair like Pink can and some people look better with long hair.  Although just like my college days, every woman goes through that phase where they need to do something to themselves and I think the easiest answer is to change our hair.

Now there are noble causes such as locks of love who use your hair for cancer patients and I managed to do that once.  It took me over a year to get the mandatory 10 inches and when I did it, it was pretty thrilling.  I don't know if I could ever commit myself like that again to growing my hair to that length, but it was nice to do something for someone in need.

Anyway, if you have not taken care of your locks then I definitely give you permission to go get a new hairstyle or cut.  Maybe that should be the tip of the week.  Are you holding onto your past and does your hair show it?  Do you miss those good ol' times and wish you could go back?  Do you remember thinking though that you wished it was the next year because of some drama at the time?  So how could it have been your ultimate year?  Now I'm no stylist and please don't come asking me what hair styles are rocking in this day and age, but if you are still in the feathery locks from the 80s then please go get yourself a new 'do.

Tawny Kitaen and her soon to be rocker husband in the best hair video of all time.  I was always amazed at her flexibility and gymnastics on two cars.


No comments:

Post a Comment