Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tip of the Week

Do you feel like a zombie when you wake up?  Barely functioning because you have not had your cup of brew.  Do you know your body is craving more than a cup of coffee?  During those restful hours, we actually sweat and lose water weight.  Some research will tell you an average man can lose up to 2 lbs in just water.  That's a lot of water when you think about it.

A few years ago, after having surgery and moving to another state, I was not paying attention to how much water I consumed.  I became faint and ended up going to doctors to figure out what was going on.  I was told I needed iron on one occasion and another suggested resting and doing more tests.  One doctor figured out I was dehydrated and needed to drink more water.  Crazy, huh?  Well its true.  We as humans don't get enough plain water.  My husband has made the jokes that we are aquatic apes and no I don't plan to get into the argument where we come from, but I find it rather amusing.

Well my tip of the week when you wake up in the morning is to drink one glass of water even before you have your coffee.  I have always tried to keep to this routine and sometimes I forget, but I can definitely tell in a few hours when I have not had a glass of water.  Another interesting read is a book called You're Not Sick, You're Thirsty.  It goes over why we need more water and honestly I don't think any of us gets enough.  I believe this is the book that recommended drinking a glass before we go to bed and when we wake up in the morning.  I think that is how my habit started.

If you are pregnant, you definitely need to be doing this.  I have nurses as friends and they often tell me how pregnant women try to pawn off that mountain dew onto their spouses and claim its not theirs.  Trust me they can tell just by looking at that little cup you bring back to them.  I am sure they have seen it all.  If you're serious about consuming water while pregnant then look into the Kleen Kanteen Wide Mouth Bottle.  Its 40 ounces and I fill it up each night before going to bed.  When I wake up in the middle of the night, I pour myself a glass and drink it.  I might get a good halfway through the water bottle depending on how much I wake up.  I have found it works better than bringing up my small kanteen water bottles and drinking from those.  Sleep time is precious so no I do not advocate going all the way downstairs for a glass of water.  Trust me this is more convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment