Monday, March 31, 2014

Pennies

Do you believe in pennies sent from up above?  I think I do now.  I know my last post was not very forthcoming, but I think I had to process it first before I wrote about it further.  A week after I wrote my post, my cousin lost his eight year battle with cancer.  In one week, he was gone and I never got to tell him goodbye or what he meant to me.  The next night as I took the girls swimming, I was a bit all over the place and couldn't concentrate.  It was apparent to me when I couldn't even multiply four times eight and yes, I do feel a bit silly now for that error.  However, I still wanted to keep my routine for the girls and so I took them.  In the locker room, I had been by this bench several times especially when I was getting the girls dressed after swimming.  I bent down to try to maneuver my little girl into her outfit and there was this penny.  Something prompted me to look at the date as I picked it up and put it into my pocket.  I walked out with my girls in tow about two minutes after that.  Later that night, I asked his sister if that year was significant to her brother and she told me it was the year he graduated high school.  It completely took me off guard and yet it comforted me at the same time.  What are the possibilities and the likelihood that I would find a penny with that specific year?

So maybe I got to say goodbye after all.  If I could have written to him before he passed away, I would have told him I had always looked up to him.  He was someone who never belittled me or made me feel like I was just this pesky little kid.  He was funny, smart, and of course handsome and thats the way I'm going to remember him.  When my girls meet that someone special, I hope its someone like my cousin.  He was THAT nice and I really wish cancer had not taken him away from his family.  I am truly a blip in all the people who knew and loved him, but I was lucky to have known him.  I was lucky to find that penny too.  It means a lot to me now and I have kept it.  I'm not sure what I'll do with it just yet, but I think in time I will…

No comments:

Post a Comment